Anaphylaxis is a severe and potentially life-threatening allergic reaction that can happen suddenly and affects the whole body. It occurs when the immune system overreacts to a normally harmless substance, such as food, medication, or insect venom, and releases chemicals that cause symptoms like hives [a skin disease in which a person’s skin becomes red and sore], difficulty breathing, and low blood pressure. Prompt medical treatment is necessary to prevent serious complications or even death.
- Eating a peanut can trigger anaphylaxis in someone with a severe peanut allergy.
- Getting stung by a bee can lead to anaphylaxis in an individual who is allergic to bee venom.
Very Simple Definition:
Anaphylaxis is a very serious allergic reaction that can make someone very sick. It happens when the body’s defense system reacts strongly to something that is usually harmless, like food or medicine. It can cause problems like itchy skin, trouble breathing, or feeling very weak. It is important to get help right away if someone has anaphylaxis because it can be very dangerous.
- If someone with an allergy to peanuts eats a peanut, they might have trouble breathing and need help right away.
- When someone who is allergic to bee stings gets stung, their skin might get red and itchy, and they might feel very weak.